This script creates a wireframe shader for polygonal objects.
I'm aware that there are multiple ways to render out a wireframe in Maya such as using (Maya Vector, Mental Ray shaders, or play blasting).
If you are a Mac user, these options might not work for you as the Maya Vector plugin is incompatible with Mac, and most Mental Ray shaders are written for the PC or Linux.
Improvements over the original script
This script was originally written by Stavrev Stefan - firstname.lastname@example.org - www.stavrevstefan.3dk.org.
1) Wireframe renders without shading or filtering
2) JPGs are saved to your project director instead of your scripts directory
3) Shaders and JPGs are named after your selections instead of being arbitrarily named 0,1,2,3, etc.
How to Use
1) Put this script into your user scripts directory.
2) Start or Restart Maya.
3) Select the object(s) you want to render a wireframe for and type "gh_wireframe" in the command line and your objects should get a new wireframe material
1) This will alter your UV's, so you should save whatever scene you use this script in as a separate scene from your master scene.
2) How the wireframe is rendered is meant to by multiplied over your beauty render in a compositing program.