The Jagdpanzer IV was a tank destroyer based on the Panzer IV chassis built in three main variants.
The Jagdpanzer IVL/70 (A) was one of two variants armed with the same Pak 42 L/70 gun. The (A) stands for the designer, Alkett, a manufacturer of the StuG III, that was ordered to redesign the Jagdpanzer IV superstructure to be mounted onto a standard Panzer IV chassis.
In order to send Pak 42 L/70 armed vehicles to the front as soon as possible, in July 1944 Hitler ordered an interim solution to speed up Nibelungenwerke's transition from Panzer IV production to Panzer IV/70 production. Only 278 were built by Nibelungenwerke from August 1944 to March 1945.